Faculty Fellow for the Mason Core
Office of Undergraduate Education, George Mason University
Application Due: April 19, 2019
Position Dates: June 2019-May 2020
The Office of Undergraduate Education and the Mason Core Committee are searching for a full-time faculty member to serve as a Faculty Fellow for the Mason Core. The faculty fellow will work to facilitate faculty conversations about the Mason Core and gather evidence about what is and is not working well in the Core. The faculty fellow will share information and work closely with the Mason Core Committee as the committee explores possible ways to strengthen the Mason Core.
Specific responsibilities, Summer 2019:
- Attend the AAC&U Institute on General Education and Assessment (June 4-7, 2019) as part of Mason’s team.
- Debrief and plan with team the week following the Institute
- Participate in Mason Core planning with the team in mid-August
Specific responsibilities, Fall 2019 and Spring 2020:
- Facilitate and engage in conversations with faculty across campus to understand a range of perceptions of and experiences with the Mason Core. This engagement will likely include a series of workshops as well as individual conversations.
- Summarize and analyze findings from these conversations.
- Gather and create a library of resources about existing general education models and implementation processes.
- Attend Mason Core Committee meetings and regularly present findings to share with the Committee.
- Expertise in the scholarship of teaching and learning in undergraduate education, with an emphasis on high impact practices and/or general education.
- Familiarity with the Mason Core and interest in learning about general education programs at a range of universities.
- An understanding of and value for faculty professional development and an interest in working with faculty to improve undergraduate core courses.
Successful applicants will have strong interpersonal and communication skills; a collaborative mindset and willingness to listen; strong leadership and organizational skills; and the ability to simultaneously see the big picture and track small details.
This position will begin as early as Summer 2019 and continue through the 2019-2020 academic year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year. The position will report to the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education, and serve in partnership with the Mason Core Committee. In addition to full travel reimbursement for attending the AAC&U Institute, the summer work will be compensated with a $500 stipend. For the 2019-2020 academic year, the position carries a $2500 stipend per semester, with the potential to negotiate a one-course release time per year (as arranged with the local academic unit). During the academic year, this position will require approximately 10 hours per week.
Please send a current vita, letter of interest, and the names of three Mason references who can speak to your experiences and fit for this position by 5pm on Friday, April 19, 2019, to email@example.com the subject heading Faculty Fellow: Mason Core. If you have questions about the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.