FALL 2019 Assessment
We are engaged in the 2017-20 assessment cycle for the Mason Core program, for which all courses will participate. In fall 2019, we are working with all courses approved for the Mason Core in Natural Sciences.
Mason Core Natural Sciences Courses in Fall 2019:
ANTH 135, ASTR 103, ASTR 111, ASTR 302
BIOL 103, BIOL 107, BIOL 213
CHEM 101, CHEM 103, CHEM 211, CHEM 212, CHEM 271
CLIM 101, CLIM 111
EVPP 110, EVPP 111, EVPP 201
GEOL 101, GEOL 102
GGS 102, GGS 121
INTS 210, INTS 301, INTS 311, INTS 403
PHYS 103, PHYS 111, PHYS 160, PHYS 243, PHYS 245, PHYS 260, PHYS 262
Review sessions for Quantitative Reasoning and Information Technology and Computing will be held in October 2019. Results will be available at the Post-Assessment meetings in spring 2020, and will be posted at Mason Core Assessment Results.
Interested in serving as a reviewer? Mason Core faculty serve as reviewers for student work samples. Reviewers participate in a training/norming session, review student work, and earn a small stipend for their efforts. Contact Dr. Stephanie Foster (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to participate.
All faculty are invited to learn about the results for last year’s assessment for Arts, Literature, and Social and Behavioral Sciences. These meetings will share results from the assessment of the student work samples from fall 2018 courses and discuss how the results could be used to inform changes in courses or programs. Note that results will only be shared in aggregate, and not at the individual or course levels.
Note that we will offer a special videoconference session for Mason Korea in March 2020.
|Friday, October 11, 2019||10:00-11:00 am||Research 162|
|Friday, October 11, 2019||2:00-3:00 pm||Research 162|
|Tuesday, October 15, 2019||9:00-10:00 am||Research 162|
|Wednesday, October 16, 2019||12:00-1:00 pm||Research 162|
|Thursday, October 24, 2019||2:00-3:00 pm||JC 234|
|Thursday, November 21, 2019||11:00 am – 12:00 pm||JC 234|
When available, results will also be posted at https://masoncore.gmu.edu/assessment/assessment-results/
Faculty Resources to Support Mason Core Courses
- Mason Core courses and learning outcomes: http://masoncore.gmu.edu/
- Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning: Teaching guides and resources, including effective syllabus design, assignment design, exam construction, grading policies, etc.: http://stearnscenter.gmu.edu/
- Mason’s Subject Librarians: https://library.gmu.edu/subject-librarians
- Open Educational Resources: https://oer.gmu.edu/
- Research “Infoguides” by subject: http://infoguides.gmu.edu/
- For resources to support writing in your courses, visit Mason’s Writing Across the Curriculum website: http://wac.gmu.edu/
For more information about Mason Core Assessment, contact Dr. Stephanie Foster at email@example.com.