FALL 2019 Pre-Assessment Workshops
WHO: Faculty who are teaching one or more Mason Core Natural Science course in fall 2019 are expected to attend ONE of the following pre-assessment workshops. Please register at the link below.
The pre-assessment workshop will focus on evidence-based strategies for teaching Mason Core learning outcomes in the sciences. The workshop will be led by Dr. Shelley Reid from The Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning, Dr. Stephanie Foster from Undergraduate Education, STEM Accelerator faculty, and a subject librarian from Mason Libraries.
Faculty who participate in the workshop and submit the portfolio at end of semester will be eligible for faculty development funds from the Provost’s office. Stephanie Foster (firstname.lastname@example.org) can answer your questions about these funds.
Mason Core Natural Sciences Courses in Fall 2019:
ANTH 135, ASTR 103, ASTR 111, ASTR 302
BIOL 103, BIOL 107, BIOL 213
CHEM 101, CHEM 103, CHEM 211, CHEM 212, CHEM 271
CLIM 101, CLIM 111
EVPP 110, EVPP 111, EVPP 201
GEOL 101, GEOL 102
GGS 102, GGS 121
INTS 210, INTS 301, INTS 311, INTS 403
PHYS 103, PHYS 111, PHYS 160, PHYS 243, PHYS 245, PHYS 260, PHYS 262
Please register at: https://tinyurl.com/Pre-AssessmentWS
Please select ONE workshop to attend.
• Thursday, August 22, 2019, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
• Friday, August 30, 2019, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
• Tuesday, September 3, 2019, 1:00-3:00 pm
Note: These are the big meetings. During the semester, we will be happy to hold smaller meetings by request. Perhaps you want to group with other faculty teaching the same class? Or, you want to plan a meeting focused for your department or college faculty? Just ask! Contact Stephanie Foster at email@example.com.
Review sessions for Arts, Literature, and Social and Behavioral Sciences are being held in March and April 2019. Results will be available at the Post-Assessment meetings in September and October, 2019, and will be posted at Mason Core Assessment Results.
Review sessions for Quantitative Reasoning and IT and Computing will be held in spring and summer 2019. Check back here for review dates.
Interested in serving as a reviewer? Mason Core faculty serve as reviewers for student work samples. Reviewers participate in a training/norming session, review student work, and earn a small stipend for their efforts. Contact Dr. Stephanie Foster (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to participate.
There will be lots of assessment results to share in fall 2019! There will be meetings to discuss results for Mason Core Arts, Literature, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Quantitative Reasoning, and IT and Computing in fall 2019. Check back here and in the Mason Core Newsletter for scheduled dates.
When available, results will also be posted at https://masoncore.gmu.edu/assessment/assessment-results/
Faculty Resources to Support Mason Core Courses
- Mason Core courses and learning outcomes: http://masoncore.gmu.edu/
- Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning: Teaching guides and resources, including effective syllabus design, assignment design, exam construction, grading policies, etc.: http://stearnscenter.gmu.edu/
- Mason’s Subject Librarians: https://library.gmu.edu/subject-librarians
- Open Educational Resources: http://publishing.gmu.edu/communication/open-educational-resources/
- Research “Infoguides” by subject: http://infoguides.gmu.edu/
- For resources to support writing in your courses, visit Mason’s Writing Across the Curriculum website: http://wac.gmu.edu/
For more information about Mason Core Assessment, contact Dr. Stephanie Foster at email@example.com.